Sunday, May 2, 2010

Special Guest

Our church's student ministry Global Impact was this weekend. I have to say this is probably the only time I wish I was a 6th - 12th grader again, because it seems like they have a great time in the Lord. The youth choir sang & danced. Then the rest of us "old folks" got a sample of what they had heard from their musical guest.

He introduced himself as Big Al. He said he was a rapper (not a sandwich wrapper). He said he sings hip hop for the Lord.

Big Al gave an awesome testimony. He grew up in North Louisiana. His Mom remarried when he was young, to a verbal and physically abusing man. At the age of 9, Big Al became an alcoholic. When he was 12 years old, he began working jobs to pay for the electrical and water bill for his family. His Mom had squandered all of their money on gambling. All the while, he maintained a 4.0 GPA. When Big Al was 16 years old he attended a youth ministry camp and surrendered his life to Christ.

He went on to attend a couple of different universities in Louisiana, and graduated with honors from Grambling. He now teaches calculus and geometry at a high school in North Louisiana and is surely a witness to his students every day.

He was called by God to minister to the youth. Big Al is truly a great example of how someone can overcome anything when you have Jesus backing you up. He rapped "Get Low" (and explained that means to humble yourself) to a crowd of "less than tan" individuals. I couldn't find that song on youtube, but this morning I was yet again was wishing I had my camera in church.

Here is what I did find...



I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

1 comment:

  1. What a testimony! We serve a Mighty God that can do all things! I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete