Being highly uncultered, I had never tried Tiramisu. So for a recent girls day at the pool, I wanted to give it a try. Sorry - I have no pictures, but trust me, it's worth making.
Original Recipe can be found here: All Recipes
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese substitute (8 oz cream cheese 2 tsp of sour cream and 2 tsp of heavy cream combined)
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 (12 ounce) packages ladyfingers split in half
- 1/3 cup coffee
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler (I used a saucepan), over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add mascarpone to whipped yolks. Beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside.
- Split the lady fingers in half, and line the bottom and sides of a large glass bowl. Brush with coffee. Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat ladyfingers, coffee and filling layers. Garnish with cocoa. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.