Monday, January 18, 2010

3 Days

I have not enjoyed a book as much as "A Truth Worth Tellin" since Mrs Wilson let me borrow her Harry Potter books a few months after Luke was born. I finished it in 3 days, which is good for me lately, considering most books just sit there on the nightstand, not catching my interest at all.

It is written from the view of an 11 year old girl, growing up with a mother who has schizophrenia. She also befriends another girl, whose mother is not well, but she has a different disease. It's based in Louisiana, and the author is from Central.

Here are a few excerpts from it.

"Lord", I whisper, "I know you're thinking, oh great here's that Maggie girl wasting my holy time again." I admit, sometimes I do ask for silly stuff, like the other day when I prayed my breasts would grow. It seemed like such an important thing to ask for, but now, I realize that was something I should have just kept to myself. I am sorry about that, because I know you stay busy dealing with things down here and running Heaven and all. Anyway, I'll try to keep that in mind from now on."



There is no greater love on earth, than that of a parent for a child. It calls us to live for someone other than ourselves, and asks us to be deliberate in our choices. It demands more than we have to offer which brings us to our knees in search of wisdom and guidance.

If possible, I would create a world where you would never experience pain, where your deepest desires would become reality and life would meet all of your expectations. Of course, I'm not able to do that, but I can do something more valuable. I can direct you to the God who created you and knows the desires of your heart. A heavenly Father who offers strength and peace, and will walk with you through life.

It is great, I highly recommend it, and I will return it to the library in just a few days so you can read it too!

2 comments:

  1. sounds great!
    and how cool that the author is from Central!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it!! Super good book thanks for the suggestion I enjoy reading your posts Ashleigh. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete